Friday, February 6, 2009

Fix-It-Friday, Redhead Beauty, MY FIRST PHOTO MAKE-OVER

BEFORE:





















AFTER:























I used GIMP v2. I don't have Photoshop or Paint Pro. I downloaded GIMP. And for those of you who don't have Photoshop, GIMP works MIRACLES.

1. I got rid of the small blemishes around her chin by Smudge. I have heal but it does this crazy thing and sort of...duplicates..Anyway, it's hard to explain. I smudged out the paint splotches, too and just a little bit under her left eyebrow where there was a blemish. I didn't want to Smudge too much, because I love her freckles and didn't wanna take them away at ALL.

2. I played around with her eyes. I Dodged them a little and then burned them until I was pleased with the new color. All on opacity of about 14.3. I love her eyes and how well they match her hair! I used the Lasso tool around her eyelashes to make them appear darker and fuller.

3. I removed a bit of frizz with the cut tool, and then blended the colors so that there was no blank spot. To do this I had to go in VERY VERY close and carefully smudge.

4. I lassoed the fence behind her and worked up the Brightness and Contrast just a bit, and then I lassoed HER, by very carefully going in and working my way around every inch so that later none of the gray stuff showed next to the new, pretty bright stuff. I LOVE vivid pictures!

5. I Brightness/Contrast-ed on around 21 Contrast her. ( I usually leave Brightness alone! )

6. I went with the Burn tool, and nudged the black shirt she has on, to make it just a little bit darker.

7. Grabbed the paintbrush and hard lighted the entire frame and then messed around with the Contrast again, so it didn't look too dark.

8. Lassoed the fence AROUND her and Sharpen-ed it at about 42, and to make her stand out just a little bit, I lassoed her and Sharpen-ed her at about 45.

9. Unsharp masked it at the automatic level and VOILA!

Please tell me how I did. Help the poor rookie. :D

I had too much fun with this. Normally, I never edit my pictures, but...seeing the difference it makes on the quality of the picture...I'm gonna start doing it more often. And...I'm 14, so I don't know how to do it. I mostly just winged it! :D :D

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Really good! I like the little bit of texture you added. I have never heard of that program but it looks like a good one!

Melinda said...

First of all thank you so much for dropping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment.

Next, from one rookie to another, it is I who should be in awe - your photo is amazing. The colors and the brightness are right on. Beautiful job!

Betty said...

You did a really good job, Jayde! Love the new picture, with the bright colors and all! I´ll have to take some lessons from you.... :)

Anonymous said...

This look almost like an illustration! It's beautiful!

Josie said...

You did a great job. I love all the detail you gave!!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Are you really 14? :) Your photo turned out lovely. It was wonderful to hear that you could do that through GIMP.

Thanks for joining in the fun with Fix-It Fridays this week!

~Angie
co-founder of iHeartFaces

Teresa said...

Wow, at 14 you already have such a great eye! Beautiful work...love the color and contrast!

Rita Loca said...

I am her mother and yes, she really is 14!

Leslie West said...

I use Microsoft Digital Image Pro9. I'm not real crazy about it, but am still experimenting until I find the one I like the most!

Anonymous said...

I think yours turned out beautifully!

Check this out:

http://www.picnik.com/

Thanks for stopping by magnoliamom.com =)

Drew said...

Holy, cow! You went way beyond anything I did. :) Guess I'm just too lazy. You did an awesome job. You'd never know it was your first photo make-over!

CrimeSceneFairy said...

w00t! Lookit all the important photography people who commented on ye blog! How fun! I for one think your fix-it is awesome. :D

Charles said...

Great job. You know the first unaltered photo looks like something from the old shoe box of pictures in the closet. It's almost s if you restored a vintage photo. I've had Gimp for two years but never used it I really need to upgrade a few of my shots like this.

Great job

Unknown said...

Holy Cow! You are 14. What an amazing job you did. I wish you could teach me how to use photoshop. I am SO confused. Clearly you would understand it in a second!

Shae said...

nicely done. If you use the heal tool with one of the fuzzy brushes, you don't get that duplicate look. gimp is great. it's what I use for all my work.